CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Surgery

Please keep Brynn in your thoughts... her surgery is this morning.

*** UPDATE ***

It is now 10:10 Tuesday night and I must say, Brynn did AWESOME, especially for getting up at 5am today. I think she was a little frustrated because she was sleepy this morning but we didn't have any major meltdowns, thank goodness. I'm sorry we didn't call everyone after the surgery (GGMa and GGPa!!), it was a crazy, hectic, exhausting day.

We got to the hospital at about 5:45am (UGH!) to fill out paperwork and get her ready for surgery. While we were in the pre-surgical waiting area, Brynn met a set of 2 1/2 year old twins that were there to get plugs put in their ears. Their mom is actually their foster mom who is trying to adopt them. She told us that the process should be finalized within 60 days for her to finally be able to adopt them. She also mentioned that she is renaming one of them Brynn!! We thought that was pretty neat and we're really excited for her.

Dr. Salevitz came by to see us before the surgery and we had noticed that he had shaved his beard and moustache, so Chad said "Hmmm, something looks like it's missing?, as he was rubbing his chin". Dr. Salevitz then said "Yeah, well, you know, with all of those gray hairs your wife was giving me, I had to shave it off..." and of course, I said "Well, technically, it was your office staff, not me..." and he kind of chuckled and agreed. Since that horrible day in February, I've had some ok phone calls with his assistant Jana, so I made sure to give her kudos while we were talking as well. He agreed that Jana was great but was sad to let us know that Jena was going to be leaving to get her PhD soon, so he needed to find someone to replace her that was just as good. Smarty pants Chad said "Um, I think she's sitting right here". He kind of looked at us like he was really thinking about it and said something along the lines of "Well, she'd be able to straighten them out, huh??". We all just kind of smiled and changed the subject back to Brynn. I think I might mention it next week at Brynn's follow up appointment and see what he says... it could be a good opportunity...

When it was finally Brynn's turn to go back for surgery, she gave Chad and I big hugs and kisses and said "bye". She went to the nurse without crying, it didn't even seem like she was scared to leave us.

About 15 minutes later, Dr. Salevitz came back out and said that Brynn did GREAT. She was happy when she went back for the surgery and she was happy when she woke back up.

Chad and I went back to see Brynn, she was sleeping in one of the nurse's arms. She pretty much woke up when we changed her diaper and she wanted something to drink, so they gave her apple juice... lots of apple juice (which caused her to get sick right when we walked out of the hospital!). Each of her pupils were the size of a dime!!

When we were in the back getting Brynn ready to go, my mom talked to Bri and my dad. (Grammie is here visiting and is going to stay with Brynn for the rest of the week, so Brenda won't have to worry about her at daycare.) Mom found out that this morning, my dad was in a pretty bad car accident on his way to work. He's doing ok but is pretty sore. It sounds like he was pretty lucky, we are all glad that he's ok. (Love you Dad!)

Brynn fell asleep in the car on the way home and she also slept for about 4 hours in her own bed. Chad and I both took naps when we got home too... somehow Grammie managed to stay up!!

This afternoon her eyes were a little puffy and underneath her eyes it looks a little black and blue, but she's still doing great. We can't tell a big difference with her eyes yet, it could take a few weeks. I will post some pictures on here tomorrow, I'm too pooped to upload them tonight.

Thanks again for all of your thoughts!!

Love,
The Wests

3 comments:

  1. I am so glad to hear that things went well! She is such a trooper! I will continue to keep her in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete